Submitted by: Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Tea can be used for more than drinking. It makes a great flavoring agent for stir fry dishes. This savory dish also highlights several late summer vegetables. So get out the tea bags and “brew” up this dish.
- 2 cups boiling hot water
- 6 tea bags (green or chamomile)
- 2 cups (4 oz.) sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup finely diced red onions
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 8 oz. seitan strips
- 1 Tablespoon lemon grass (or 0.75 oz. package of stalks)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Step tea bags in boiling hot water for 3-5 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Heat oil in a medium size frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushroom strips, peppers, and seitan. Heat for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add tea and lemon grass and heat for 5 minutes or until tea mixture starts to boil.
- Add rice, cover, and reduce heat for 20 minutes.
- If lemon grass stalks used, remove prior.