Written by Diana Cullum-Dugan, RDN, LDN
Servings: about 5
Giving up meat even for one day is hard for carnivores but the benefits so outweigh the extra effort. Lowering blood pressure, cholesterol and even weight are some side benefits of going meatless – even for a day.
Set your menu for the work, then get grocery shopping done on Sunday and you can whip out this tasty high protein soup filled with tasty spices and nutrient-dense veggies on Monday. Add a slab of hot, crusty bread with a vegetable buttery spread and your meal is complete.
Quinoa and Veggie Soup
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloved garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 c. frozen green peas
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 32 oz reduced sodium veggie broth
- 1/2 c. red quinoa
- 1/2 T. basil
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in large pot on medium high heat. Saute onion until just translucent. Add garlic and stir 15 seconds.
- Add carrots, celery, and red bell pepper and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn, veggie broth, quinoa and seasonings.
- When pot reaches a boil reduce heat to medium low heat, cover, and dimmer 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and veggies are soft.
Adapted from What Tasty Food blog.