Affiliate leaders will receive a request for nomination for national and affiliate awards and honors in September or October of each year.
The Affiliate association president or his/her designee (i.e. Awards Chair) should ensure all award winners for the national, affiliate, and education awards are submitted to Academy by the published deadlines.
Each affiliate has the opportunity to provide the following affiliate awards. All award recipient data must be provided to Academy by May 1. Criteria and submission details are available in no later than January every year.
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year (RYDY) - The maximum number of RYDY per affiliate, per year, is based on the number of districts. An affiliate may choose one RYDY from each district, but may not have more than one in a district.
- Recognized Dietetic Technician of the Year (RDTY) – The maximum number is one RDTY per affiliate per year.
- Emerging Leader (EDL) – The maximum number is one EDL per affiliate per year.
- Outstanding Dietitian Award (ODY) – The maximum number is one ODY per affiliate per year.
- Outstanding Dietetics Student (ODSA) – A maximum of one student from each type of dietetics education program within the affiliate may be selected by each state (maximum seven).
- Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CPD)
- Dietetic Internship (DI)
- Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
- Graduate Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (GP)
- Dietetic Technician Program (DT)
- Foreign Dietetics Education Programs (FDE)
These awards are given annually and criteria for each award are determined by the Academy and distributed to each affiliate annually. Affiliates should develop an application for each award that will be offered by the affiliate. The affiliate may develop more detailed criteria. States planning to participate in these award programs should immediately share the information with the state awards chair and/or other individuals responsible for awards at the state level.
RYDY, RDTY, EDL, ODSA and ODY recipients receive a congratulatory letter from the Academy president, awards certificate and listing in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Affiliates may also provide additional recipient benefits and recognition. Ribbons are available at FNCE®.
The education awards are administered by the NDEP. NDEP provides educator and preceptor awards annually (https://www.eatrightpro.org/ndep/about-ndep/awards-and-winners). award submissions are due in early January.
- Outstanding Preceptor Awards - The purpose of the Outstanding Preceptor Award is to recognize the exceptional teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of preceptors in ACEND®-accredited dietetics education programs.
- Outstanding Dietetics Educator (ODEA) – The purpose of the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award is to recognize the teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of faculty in ACEND®-accredited dietetics education programs. One educator can be selected from each of the five program types in each geographic region (a maximum of five awardees from each of the six geographic regions for a total of 30).