West Chester University
Sports Nutrition Full-Time Graduate Assistantship
Start Date: August 18, 2020
End Date: May 8, 2022
(Work does not include mid-May–mid-Aug, 2021)
The West Chester University Department of Nutrition and Department of Athletics (DII) is currently seeking Sports Dietitian applications for a Graduate Assistant Position in the MS in Community Nutrition (MSCN). The MSCN is 100% online; however the GA position is on-site.
Job Description: Two-year position; second year will be renewed at the successful completion of the first year, based upon a performance evaluation by the Chair of the Department of Nutrition. Duties include: Provide nutritional counseling and educational services to student athletes. Develop effective sport-specific nutrition educational presentations and handout materials for student athletes. Maintain ongoing communications with coaching staffs, strength & conditioning staff, athletic trainers, team physicians, mental health staff, and administration regarding nutritional issues affecting student athletes. Serve in a supervisory role for Dietetic Interns and undergraduate volunteers in addition to administrative responsibilities related to fueling station daily operations. Management of fueling stations includes inventory, shopping, and stocking of fueling stations. May be required to perform additional duties deemed necessary by the Chair of the Department of Nutrition. Graduate Assistant must be available to work at least 20 hours per week, with non-traditional hours likely.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in Nutrition or related field from an accredited college or university is required. At least (1) year of sports nutrition-related experience in the collegiate setting is desired. Must be eligible for acceptance into the Master's degree in Community Nutrition (100% online) program for enrollment in fall 2018 classes. Graduate Assistants must enroll as full-time student (9 hours/semester).
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Current Registered Dietitian OR Currently in Dietetic Internship with successful completion of RD exam before hire;
- Must obtain PA RDN Licensure as required by the state of practice http://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/LicensingServices/Pages/default.aspx;
- Food handler's certification, preferred;
- CITI certified, preferred (If not, must complete certification by first week of September 2020).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Effective communication, presentation, and counseling skills
- Must be able to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced, intense environment
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Competence with nutrient analysis, word processing, and presentation software
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including breaks, holidays and weekends
Benefits: Compensation will be tuition and above-standard stipend for 3 semesters at 9 credits, with a variable credit load and above-standard stipend for the 4th semester.
Submit resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references to:
Dr. Christine Karpinski, Chair, Dept of Nutrition
855 S. New Street, rm 222D
West Chester, PA 19383
DEADLINE: MARCH 25th, 2020